AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lone Wolf Picker
Posted 3/16/2019 21:29 (#7384641 - in reply to #7384336)
Subject: RE: Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges

Black Hawk County, IA
Steve - 3/16/2019 17:44

sand85 - 3/16/2019 18:00

My sister is a structural engineer and says Nebraska is one of about 5 states where you have to have a separate structural engineering certification (above a normal civil engineering license).

Even if the Feds dump a huge cash pile on this deal (seems likely) there is an enormous amount of physical and technical work to be done. Usually infrastructure is a high priority, but still - roads and bridges at the same time as electric, water, probably a lot of water and wastewater treatment plants got damaged - so there will be a run on critical repairs/inspectors/contractors, then on engineering so they can determine what to do and how much cash is needed to fix things, then a political maelstrom over the money, then another run on contractors and equipment.

So it’s not just needing money, there probably are not enough technical people to inspect, repair, engineer, and construct all this infrastructure in a short period of time.

Me, I’m a former NRCS engineer, and I’m sure the water hasn’t even gone down enough, and mere soil erosion is so low on the priority list right now that people don’t care, but I imagine there’s a decade’s worth of terraces to repair and rebuild, etc.

Technical people? Get some of the old farmers that are from the area together and I bet they can tell you alot of what is needed in a hurry......and for a fraction of the cost. Some of this *engineering* is highly overated and definitely overpaid.

I don't know about you, but I want my airplanes and bridges designed and built by the best educated and tested people I can get. J
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)