AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 3/16/2019 17:20 (#7384226 - in reply to #7384204)
Subject: RE: Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges

EC Nebraska
jsfarms86 - 3/16/2019 17:03

The core at Gavin's point did mismanage the dam back in 2011. Ever since then they are trying to correct the amount of water. Ask farmers downstream they have been releasing way to much for years they will say. You won't make everyone happy at once.

But to say the these floods are man made disasters is absolutely not true. The water on my end had nothing to do with any dam. This was caused by a wet fall, high rivers with lots of ice, couple feet of snow, and rain on top of that plus frozen ground. You tell me where the waters going to go??

Yeah, there wasn't that much the Corps could have done about this. Even if Lewis and Clark was empty, it wouldn't have prevented any damage upstream.

There was just too much ice in the rivers, too much snow in the ditches and the drains, and then we got 1-3" of warm rain on frozen ground.

Maybe 10% of the damage could have been prevented by lowering the small reservoirs, but they're controlled by the NRD's and the State Parks systems. The Parks lakes are managed for recreation, no question about it. That's part of their purpose.

Maybe dynamiting the ice jams right away could have helped, but I really doubt there was actually time.

At least 80% of the damage simply couldn't have been prevented, no matter what anyone did this winter.

Now, we can have the discussion about whether or not it's a good idea to have trailer parks next to the rivers, but that's a long range planning scenario. Those areas were gonna get hit this year, there was no way to prevent it.

Edited by NE Ridger 3/16/2019 17:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)