AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flooding in Nebraska
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gregor
Posted 3/15/2019 18:56 (#7382661 - in reply to #7382628)
Subject: RE: Flooding in Nebraska

East Central Nebraska
and the rivers are thick with Ice and all broke up. Temp went from below freezing and well below freezing for the past 3 months to 60 degrees in one day to get the quick melt with the heavy rain. Western part of the state had a massive blizzard and hurricane force winds. Wonder if they get a quick melt if that will cause the rivers to rise in a couple weeks. I'd think this is the worst recorded flooding in many areas. I was 5 in 1978 and remember the Platte river in North bend was roaring and took out the highway there. Folks are comparing it to 78 and this being worse as I don't remember this big of an area wiped out. Seen a video of water going over the top of the gates at Gavins Point dam. Looks like a repeat of 2011 for the Missouri river if I got the year right. Most towns along the river our only accessible by helicopter. Even to dangerous for boats on some of the flooded areas. Cedar Bluff fire dept had their boat capsize last night trying to do a rescue. Army Nat Guard Blackhawk had to rescue them. They were lucky they all survived plus the water is really cold. They were treated for hyperthermia. I drove across the bridge across the platte yesterday evening at North Bend Ne. Wish I hadn't gone. I was afraid to go back. It looked like an ocean with waves guessing 8-10 ft. It was right up to the bridge. Today that is closed and North bend is under water. Got a bunch of grain to go there too with a march contract. What a mess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)