AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oliver 550
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

old ohio farmer
Posted 3/15/2019 20:34 (#7382862 - in reply to #7381525)
Subject: RE: oliver 550

Van Wert co. NW Ohio
When I was much younger the neighbors had a 550 gas, one of the last ones built in the early 70's. I used to drive it a lot raking,baling and hauling hay and once in a while planting with a 4x30 planter.loved to drive it and about 5 years ago got the hankering to have one for my grandkids to learn to drive on. Looked for a long time without any luck but finally found one in really rough shape about 40 miles from home. Bought it and started fixing it up. Lots of work,new steering wheel, new seat, new rear wheels and tires, new grille, new lights and gauges, new pto clutch and probably some things I've forgotten. Then a lot of sanding and several coats of paint and new decals. Looks like a brand new one . Man I bought it from said he wanted to see it when it was finished so I called him and told him where I lived and he came the next day to see it. He was amazed and really complimented me on the restoration then he dropped this bombshell, Said he didn't realize just where I lived and said that he had bought the tractor from an old farmer that lived just a mile east of me. Further talking confirmed that this was the very same tractor I had driven over 40 years ago. Have driven it in several parades and tractor drives including the one at half century of progress in 2015 and maybe 2019, mow lanes and barnlots with it, run augers and most of all am teaching my grand sons and granddaughters how to drive. One grandson has even taken it to an old fashioned plow day in our county with a borrowed 2 bottom plow and did a great job with it. Consider myself a very luckey farmer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)