AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cottonhauler
Posted 3/15/2019 18:48 (#7382647 - in reply to #7381924)
Subject: RE: Neighbors

Zabcikville, TX
A couple stories. I apologize in advanced if I get long winded. My grandfather was drafted into WWII, not unlike many others of that era. As the sole provider for his family, he asked for an extension, to get the clover crop out. It wasn't granted, and he was to report on X day, of X month of (I wanna say '45?, not sure on the dates). He was sent to Japan on peace keeping missions. He arrived home, to his wife, my grandmother. Shortly after, she contracted polio, and was sent to Dallas for treatment. From what I understand, the grains had been harvested and put away prior to his leaving for Dallas. But what about the cotton crop??? He had gotten calls saying things like "Leon, don't worry about that" or "Leon, we'll help you". He, along with my grandmother arrived home with the cotton harvested, stalks shredded, stalks disked, and the land bedded. The neighbors knew what was going on with his wife's health, and why he was gone. They just did it, no questions asked. There is a picture somewhere of the area farmers, standing next to their tractors, in a semi-circle. He went around later to pay them for their time, fuel, etc.. No one EVER accepted a dime. They just said "you'd do the same for me", and he would have. Good neighbors help when you ask. GREAT neighbors don't wait to be asked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)