AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wood splitter wedge design?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Steve NW WI
Posted 3/14/2019 01:33 (#7379273 - in reply to #7378901)
Subject: RE: Wood splitter wedge design?

Star Prairie, WI
My old splitter has worn to about a 1/4" radius for a cutting edge, so sharp isn't as critical as it seems. That said, about a 60° angle works pretty well, and what I'm gonna make my next one to.

You've learned that you need space for the log to "grow" on a multiple split wedge. Is it a radial (all wedges meet at the center) or box design?

Radial should push outward, the only pinch point will be the bottom 2 nearest the beam, so angling those up a few degrees toward the back will help with clearance.

Box is a little tougher to describe, but if that's your style, I can probably get my crayons out and draw a cartoon easier than try to describe it in words.

Maybe most importantly, either way, is staggering the wedges, so each split is started before the next one hits the wood. That might require using a push block to get the last piece through, but it cuts way down on the tonnage as it spreads it out over several "hits" instead of one big one.

My next splitter the wedge (single) is also going to angle back toward the ram from bottom to top a few degrees to help hold those inevitable cut crooked ones that want to pop out rather than split. It's also going to have (like the one I have now) a groove in the push block so the face of block actually stops a little bit past the wedge. This really helps finish the split on stringy stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)