AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Green pea growers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmerjon52
Posted 3/13/2019 21:59 (#7379048 - in reply to #7377148)
Subject: RE: Green pea growers

Your fert plans and mine are definitely going to be different. On my 3.5 - 4 OM soils, 40# of N, some sulfur, and P&K based on soil test is my recipe. Too much N gets me too much vine. The irrigated sand soils will vary greatly. When I ran "company farms" in the sands we would be be in the 60 - 70# N range depending upon weather, Cal sul would be applied base on soil test ph, 50-75# AMS, and P&K were applied based on removal rate. N would be split between a little dry preplant and then 2 shots through fertigation with the last shot being put on by full bud.

Where we have similarities is there is a 7 day window that can make about 1/3 of the crop which is bloom and then another 1/3 seems to be made during pod fill. In my world these 2 times are luck of the draw since I cannot control 1 variable you can, water.

I had some growers that had a lot of the details figured out. One of these would be pgr's and a micro pack at first bloom which seems to compact the set, make the plant act more determinate which would provide a greater amount of fruit at a similar growth stage. Other would be water timing and fertigation timing....

I don't have all the answers. Seems with peas, luck has more to do with it some days than skill. But when you hit a home run it is big. 2018 was not that way!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)