AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gmail - You’re not alone PSA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 3/13/2019 01:18 (#7376964 - in reply to #7376955)
Subject: RE: Gmail - You’re not alone PSA

South Central Iowa
You know, watching that Office Space clip, it’s amazing how that film is 20 years old but the problem is 100% as relevant today as then.

Or take this gmail and google drive crash. That Guardian article notes it is also affecting StreetView. This came out of nowhere. StreetView forms the basis for Waymo’s inertial guidance system for their autonomous vehicle platform. If there is any latency or momentary disruption of sensory guidance, that is the primary program the system would fall back on. If there were millions of autonomous trucks on the road tonight 100’s or more would have crashed.

Waymo (Google) admits that they don’t believe there will ever be fully self-driving vehicles; that an operator will always need to be present. But it’s important to note tonight that system would have killed people and lots of them if it were possible. Also, it doesn’t necessarily improve; this tech culture that always says “as” or “when” the technology improves and scales, never “if”, is delusional. We still have the same exact software and hardware issues with something as simple as an office printer that we did 20 years ago. There is a lot of tech hype that the same applies to.

I’ll get to have fun calling and explaining why people didn’t get what they needed tomorrow morning. Telling them my email was down feels about the same as the old “dog ate my homework” excuse. At least I wasn’t in my truck typing away while it drove itself though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)