AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Norwalk ia screw job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 3/13/2019 15:26 (#7378113 - in reply to #7377462)
Subject: RE: I should know better on NAT

Southern Pa.
Pvafarm - 3/13/2019 10:51

Of course there are trips one takes in high mile vehicles that turn out fine. Of course new or newer vehicles have issues. The point is, and what my practice is now after growing up in land of high mile, fix often vehicles is have one that's capable at a moment's notice is ready to hop in and drive 2000 miles.

Growing up I experienced a blown rod on vacation in Canada, front brake job in Tennessee (father maintenance issue here when I was 12), and on and on. It's nice having one fresh horse in stable. That one has 50,000 miles and it's a a 2012, my '15 has 90,000 and rest are 120-160,000. High miles means water pumps, alternators, bearings of all kinds are likely to crap the bed on long cont run trips. More likely than a new vehicle having problems.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. We have one low mileage Toyota that we take on long trips. Everything else is "American" built, and has between 100 and 200k miles. (We have 3 older, higher mileage vehicles. One each of the big three) I am a stickler for maintenance, and that probably helps. In almost 30 years of marriage, I've only towed something home once. But we generally don't take the higher mileage vehicles on long trips. The higher mileage vehicles generally get used for local "runaround" vehicles. If something starts squeaking, you're not 500 miles from home.

Keeps our costs down, but we still have something very reliable for those longer road trips.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)