AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayer tips and speed questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WilgerIndustries
Posted 3/13/2019 11:55 (#7377699 - in reply to #7376341)
Subject: RE: Sprayer tips and speed questions

1. What are the pros and cons of the different materials used in tip construction. Poly, ceramic, and stainless?
Poly is cheap(er). Not often, but some can have chem interactions that cause quicker wear.
Ceramic is really nice for most stuff. In flat fan angles, supposedly they'd degrade quicker than if you said a ceramic cone tip (just the oblong fan/hole isn't consistent compared to a round hole)
Stainless would probably be about the same level as ceramic.
A lot of the common tips nowadays are a celcon or different plastics that are pretty good.

2. Do I want 80 or 110 degree spray patterns for herbicide application? I assume this is related to height of boom from target and nozzle spacing?
If >36" boom height, best use 80° tips. As you are on 15" spacing, you'd be okay using them at lower.
Realistically there is so much chaos that happens after the tips spray, so if you are able to keep your boom around the 20" high, I'd probably opt to use 110° tips.

3. Is 10 to 12 mph a reasonable speed to expect? I was usually in the 6-9 mph range with the tractor.
Yup, pretty reasonable. A lot of time guys will end up being comfortable up to the 14-15MPH, but it depends on your field and conditions.

4. For those familiar with Deere tips and spraying contact herbicide, would the guardian, low-drift, or extended range be your pick?
Extended range are typically too fine. Unless you are doing 20GPA herbicides, chances are they'd be putting out more drift than you'd like.
e.g. If you are using a Extended Range 03 (blue) size, about 30% of your spray would be drift, even at 30PSI. Up to ~45% at like 80PSI.
If you were using an ER/XR 04 (red size), still 24% drift at 40PSI.

I'd say for contact herbicide, you'd be looking to use something like the guardian if using an -04 size, or if you are using an -03, use a LD.

5. What's a good tip for spraying fungicide in late season corn?
For late season corn, depending on what kind of water volume you are putting out, can change a fair bit as well.
Don't have too much more on that, as I'm up in Canada, and not too much corn up here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)