AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeling like a teenage girl now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 3/13/2019 11:18 (#7377622 - in reply to #7376143)
Subject: RE: Feeling like a teenage girl now

Coldwater, Michigan
It has been a good winter. We needed the cold weather to help kill some bugs in the fields. Never really seems to work? I would have gladly taken another good snow. I have a garden tractor with a 4 foot snow blower on it and my driveway just isn't big enough!

The Greenhouse complex seems to always be busy and always looking for people.

The hog operation seems to be getting up to steam. No small producers are going to get in. We have a local farm operation that supposedly raises 60,000 head per year and hauls all of them to Delphi, Indiana. They are trying to convince the new plant to start a 2nd shift and take them. But apparently there aren't enough hogs currently available to justify putting a 2nd shift in.

60,000 hogs sent to Delphi each year 2 hours away vs here (less than 15 miles away) would be quite a fuel cost savings for the producer. If the hog plant is operating at the capacity they want, that would only be enough hogs to run for 6 days. Need more than that!

The people working at the plant are finding out how hard work can be at a place like that. I used to work for a facility fresh out of service in 1970 that was killing 6000 hogs a day.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)