Posted 3/15/2019 08:51 (#7381801 - in reply to #7380408) Subject: RE: Climate fieldview
Couldn't agree more GOOSE. There is no algorithm that can replace real familiarity with the ground and conditions and the knowledge held by the growers support network. They are not bad but they need to be used as an aid to the actual people that are familiar with the history, growers practices, and the ground.
Here are a few examples of items that these automated recs or "Easy/Advanced" Recs never or almost never take into account.
- Tillage practices and or tillage depth
- Timeliness of the the grower - Typically plants and or harvests very late, very early, or average in timing
- Historic events - where there used to be a feedlot, where there was a spill of XYZ three years ago so nothing grows in that area, where Grampa used to bury all the junk.
- Drainage issues, seeps, etc.
- History of problems such as disease, insect, etc.
This is just a few of the things that are almost never taken into account when making recs in these more automated systems. Many times these things matter in making these recs. If I know this information I can make a better rec every time over an automated system or only using standard pieces of data.
Just something to think about in the decision making process.