AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How long can your operation exist
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 3/11/2019 14:41 (#7373824 - in reply to #7373704)
Subject: RE: How long can your operation exist

SW WI
I enjoy the responses.....seems like most feel they can make due with what they have and muddle thru.

I suppose there is always a way to find the glass half empty. So with most feeling they can get by....is there someone to take your place....and just get by? What I’m getting at, is, will it be another exodus of young people from farms, that say “ no way am I going to work that much for that little” ?

We’ve come off some pretty nice years where a lot of young folk were able to join an operation. I don’t buy into the NAT stereotype of all 30 yr olds with a boat, lake home, weekends off, stay at home wife....sure there may be some, but not everyone. So if a spouse is working off and maybe the person (son or daughter) that is involved in the farm has an off farm income....how long can you stay on the hamster wheel if the returns from farming just don’t support the lifestyle that was envisioned.

We saw everyone jockeying to buy more or rent more....will we see the other side where everyone just doesn’t want to go out on a limb of more debt, risk, work and management? Nothing stays the same, we can count on that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)