AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

options for emergency calving barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

johnwayne360
Posted 3/10/2019 17:10 (#7371935)
Subject: options for emergency calving barn

near dyersville iowa
So the cattle shed is down, and i have 3 weeks until calving. Have an old farrowing house I was thinking of setting somthing up in. But when i got to looking today, there is a 1 foot concrete foundation-that i really dont want to knock a hole it, because the roof drains onto a concrete pad, the foundation wall keeps the water out-and a 5 ft stud wall on top of that. If I put a header in, Ill only have a little under 5 ft tall door. My cows are not big cows, but im wondering how they will like that. Inside there was an 8 inch pit that i was thinking of filling in with lime. Just to because its a whole lot easier to fill in than take the middle walkway out and drop the whole floor 8 inches. The cows would have to step down in if i did that. Think its workable? or should i look a different direction? I think i could do 4 pens in here for maybe 1k..but its temporary until i can get another barn remodeled so i can get a skidloader in it-that would be something i have to hire someone for. and no one is available this quick.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)