AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Computer accounting program suggestions ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 3/11/2019 20:44 (#7374467 - in reply to #7372834)
Subject: RE: Farm Computer accounting program suggestions ?

Jackrabbit - 3/10/2019 22:50

Xero (or Magnify through Farm Credit) is an option. One thing that is a must for ANYONE is a program that allows for account transactions to flow daily into the software package for simple reconciliation. Entering transactions manually can not be an option going forward. Your time is too valuable. Magnify is good but not perfect. If I could tweak a couple of things (and maybe you can if you just use Xero yourself???) and cut the price in half I would be really happy with it. Email if you like as well Brian.

Scott

Edit to add: I don't get the positive reviews for PC Mars? I downloaded the demo and it looks like a high school programming project from the 90's. I can kind of understand if you started with something 20 years ago and just stay with it but just the overall platform looks really old. Unless I'm missing something I would guess the users of PC Mars would be really surprised at quality of some of the competing packages available today.

Can’t tell you how many years ago, but I know I ran QB V4. I could make it do most things I needed. Went to QB V6. Somewhere in here, Intuit decided to drop their full-blown version for my Mac. I lost my payroll ability which was very important for our store’s payroll. My only solution was to run the Windows version through Parallels. Then I had to send all my historical data to Intuit and have it converted. This took weeks as we got further and further behind on our daily accounting. If you’ve ever run a Mac, you would know how distressing it is to run something on Windows. I can only say that running Windows is a more rude experience and things were not nearly as intuitive in Windows as they are in Mac OS (for me). After we got things straightened up and running in Windows, we were warned by Intuit that we must upgrade to QB V10 because they would shortly no longer offer support for V6. After we did this upgrade, intuit came up with a different, more expensive payroll scheme. On top of this and their very expensive support fees and interminal wait times on hold, I’d had enough with a program you could “make work” for a farm.

I changed to PCMars in 2014 and my QuickBooks fiasco is all behind me with a very practical payroll system that costs me nothing, free support that actually answers the phone when needed (very little), prints checks, can do A/P & A/R and a one button push tax prep detail report specifically written for my accountant. And now even better my accountant has very reasonable access to the PCMars software so he can make changes for me.

Yes, it may look like something written in the 90s (because it was!... or earlier) but it handles my numbers far better than anything QuickBooks offers me and it has not become a money pit. To each his own.

Edited by 7150 3/12/2019 10:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)