AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader App Rate Distribution Cable
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/10/2019 16:46 (#7371895 - in reply to #7371714)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader App Rate Distribution Cable

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
dbock - 3/10/2019 15:13

I'm looking at making some implement switches so that I can map automatically with some different implements. I read on here to use ports A and B on the implement switch part of the distribution cable with A being a 12v and B being the return to the port. I was wondering what port C is for? Is it a ground, a way to switch from NO to NC, or something else? Thanks

Since you are going to use an Application Rate Module you do not need to be concerned about the NO/NC issues. The Application Rate Module is the only module that allows the configuration to be setup as standard or reversed. You could have some of your implements one way and others the other. You will likely have a different configuration for each implement since they will likely have different widths so each configuration can be set to match the implement switch.

No other modules allow this. The following relates to implement switches on other modules where their use must be considered. These modules expect to see 12V on Pin B of the implement switch stub when the implement is in the DOWN or application position, so some type of connection must be made. Sometimes it is just a jumper other times an actual switch is used.

If the switch operates backwards some type of change must be made. Many (not all) implement switches have three terminals. This allows the installer to use one pair or another to get the UP/DOWN operation correct.

To make this task easier, Ag Leader wired their implement switches with two pigtails, one branch is Normally Open and the other branch is Normally Closed. Basically you chose one and try it. If the system operates correctly as far as UP/DOWN then you made the correct choice. If not then try the other pigtail.

Some situations with implement switches can get rather confusing. I have several modules on my planter that require an implement switch. This is because I have modules that deal with seed and spray. I could have installed an implement switch for each module. Instead I made a special harness with various connectors and branches to tie multiple switches and modules together.

I take 12V from Pin A from one of the modules and split it into three branches. One leads to an implement switch on the right wing, another leads to an implement switch on the left wing and another runs all the way up to the tractor where it is connected to a lighted rocker switch in the cab. This means that all three switches have 12V available. I run wires from the other terminal on each implement switch and the Normally Open terminal on the tractor switch back to the area where the modules are located. These wires join together but then split into several branches which lead to Pin B of each module. The remaining terminal of the rocker switch in the tractor goes to ground. This means that any switch can complete the circuit and deliver 12V to each module.

In normal operation, the switch in the tractor is in the OFF position. When the planter is in the UP or no plant position, none of the switches complete the circuit and no modules see 12V on Pin B. When the planter is lowered for normal planting the left implement switch and/or the right implement switch complete the circuit and all modules see 12V on Pin B.

The reason for two implement switches is to prevent the possibility that a row with a switch on it falls into a deep rut or hole and that switch cycles open. It is unlikely that both implement switches would be in this situation at the same time. This redundancy helps prevent surprises.

The switch in the cab is an implement switch override. In normal operation it is in the OFF position although its indicator light will show whether any switch is completing the circuit. Its purpose is for testing and some situations where I need to back into a corner and I want to override the clutch system prior to backing in.

This is helpful with SureVac seed shutoffs. Since the SureVacs block the vacuum so the seed falls back into the hopper, the seed disk may not be fully loaded. This means that if I back into a corner, drop the planter and move forward there will be a gap until the seed cells that are filled deliver to the ground. By overriding the implement switch prior to this, I can keep the seed disks filled so that seed starts dropping right away. With normal headlands this is not an issue since the system compensates for this lag by retracting the plunger early.

Edited by tedbear 3/10/2019 17:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)