AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired Hand
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 3/10/2019 20:40 (#7372469 - in reply to #7371508)
Subject: RE: Hired Hand

Beresford, SD
Keep it hourly, let them work as much as they want. Discuss yours and thier schedule weeks out and lay out expectations. Salary, some one always feels taken, or they quit right before it gets busy. Currently $15/hr here.....high school helper (senior). Full time/part time. Lined him up with 240 acres to farm for this spring......I will help him with machinery, loan paperwork, setting up insurance etc.......he's got skin in the game. Not sure where we will land after he's done with tech school in 2 years. 100k no way, $50/hr.....dream on! The best tenured mechanics at JD don't even make that, heck I don't even make that on average, but I probably average 6,000 hrs a year, but that's what it takes when you choose to swing your own hammer. Highest paying shift job in town is less than $25/hr! I pay my seasonal help $20/hr to drive silage trucks......probably one of the highest hourly jobs around to be had. Every area has it labor market, find a good one you have to be at the upper end to keep them. I sure want to keep mine, treat him like a son.

Edited by carlsoncl 3/10/2019 20:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)