AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Burndown right after corn planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sharecropper jr.
Posted 3/11/2019 00:11 (#7372845 - in reply to #7371759)
Subject: RE: Burndown right after corn planter

Deep southern Illinois
winner2011 - 3/10/2019 14:39

I quit running 32/ATS with sprayer when I started putting it on with planter in ‘12. I run 15/5 with planter but going to have some fields I was thinking of running some with sprayer. I’ve never needed a burndown and 32 with sprayer before. I’d think the roundup wouldn’t work real well with any more than a gallon of 32%, but make the Callisto hotter with 32. Just wondered how others did it when they need 32% and burndown.

The problem with 32% at burndown tends to be grass. We use lexar (3qts)and 32% (15 gal) preemerge often, and if we’ve got pigweed or marestail coming up after the burndown, we’ve added up to 3qts gramoxone. Broadleaf weeds are almost crispy by the time the booms are folded up. Grass will be brown for 72 hours. Roundup and 32% doesn’t work, just like roundup and gramoxone, for the same reasons. Flash burn on grass isn’t effective. I have on the contrary seen studies spraying gramoxone at night, and getting much better action on grasses because the lack of sunlight decreases the flash burn effect. Haven’t done it myself, but would like to try it. We went to liquid on the planter, and have gone to a 2-pass system on corn, that will be changed this year to eliminate the 32%. Another con to 32% is if you get a 2” rain after you plant, before you get it sprayed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)