AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Design software for building a house?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 3/10/2019 10:28 (#7371092 - in reply to #7371017)
Subject: RE: Design software for building a house?

Middlesex County, Ontario
What do you mean by the word blueprint?

1. "Here" a blueprint is the drawing from which you make the part or structure. The design has been finalized, approved, and sealed. The blueprints are there for a builder to follow. The builder is not allowed to deviate from the blueprint (although they always do to some degree).

2. Do you want to create a model of your house that you can play around and try some different layouts and maybe take to a professional when you are done, saying "we want a house that looks like this." The professional then creates a design that meets all building codes, has the design signed, and creates blueprints.

If you are thinking #1 then I think you are greatly underestimating the knowledge required to create real and functional blueprints in AutoCAD. If you wanted to pursue creating home blueprints in AutoCAD then you would have several years of learning and on the job experience ahead of you. I have 10+ years of CAD experience (not in civil engineering) and I would not even think about trying to create my own home blueprints. To be a good designer you have to be capable of being a good tradesman and then be so much more. I don't know anything about building houses.

If you are thinking #2 then I would forget about AutoCAD. AutoCAD is expensive and it is not good for visualizing things. I would use a 3D software so that you can get a better feel for how things will look. There are a variety of free 3D software out there now. Google SketchUp would probably be the most popular for what you want to do. There are tons of youtube how-to videos on building houses in SketchUp.

I would forget about trying to do this without a professional unless:
- You are legally allowed to build a home without signed drawings
- You have significant experience home building, and the blueprints would be more a sketch of what is in your head.

Edited by WildBuckwheat 3/10/2019 10:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)