AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Arlington National Cemetery aka The rose garden
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

fuelfarmer
Posted 3/9/2019 14:09 (#7369553)
Subject: Arlington National Cemetery aka The rose garden

Virginia

Yesterday I attended a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery formerly known as Mrs. Lee's rose garden. The topic of southern history was discussed at length on a thread or two. So I will tell some of a story that is interesting to me to show how important is is to win a war if you want to come down on the correct side of history. Full disclosure. My family, living in the south, were pacifists Union loyalist. The war was not a good experience for them. 

In a small local family / community cemetery that I help mow is the grave of a Civil war soldier. This local Virginia "farm boy" was involved in an incident where the son of the Quartermaster General of the Union Army was killed. There was some confusion as to who was responsible for the killing, and as a result, the nearby town was ordered to be burned to the ground in retaliation. The order was later rescinded when the facts became known after a captured Union soldier was released from the Confederate line under the condition that he would return to the Union leadership and tell them what actually happened. The killing was not committed "bushwhackers", or civilians as first thought. 

Even after the war was over the father of the dead Union soldier was trying to have the shooter arrested. The father claimed that the shooter was on a spying mission and that the blanket amnesty given to Confederate soldiers did not apply to spies.

Yesterday I visited Section 1, Site 1-SH in the former rose garden to take a few photos.  So would you like to guess which grave site is of a prominent Union soldier and which grave site is of a Confederate farm boy soldier in the south. Both of these young men were doing what they were told to do and serving their countries. You can rewrite history, but you can't undo what happened.

A lot is written on John Rodgers Meigs and can be easily searched. Some of the accounts differ a bit.  I tried to attach a link to a PDF file story with some very good information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sour...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)