AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifer calving rant...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

coolhand
Posted 3/9/2019 04:56 (#7368580 - in reply to #7368532)
Subject: RE: Heifer calving rant...

Sorry for the rough go with heifers this year. That's about how they go it seems, some years very few issues and some seems like they all have something up.

I don't think this vet was wrong to pull it, he got it out after all. Pulling in a chute or head gate is never a good idea, IMO, though and that's where he messed up. A small easy one in a chute can workout but a big calf has to be manipulated. If she had been in the open she would've laid down on her side while he was pulling, the puller can then be torqued around towards her belly and that makes way less stress on her pelvis. The calf dives out and can be twisted 1/4 turn for the hips once his head/body are out.

I can't know if the result would've been different, but I wish for you he had pulled it in an open pen. My motto is; if you can get two legs and head in the right spot, pull it. Sections don't always turn out well either. Even if she and calf had made it fine through surgery, your stuck with a tab that's worth more than the calf will be at weaning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)