AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal Rye planted in the spring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 3/8/2019 22:21 (#7368459 - in reply to #7368289)
Subject: RE: Cereal Rye planted in the spring

South Central MN
Mikenesd - 3/8/2019 20:37

Paul, don't you just love that velvet leaf. LOL

Now, if only velvet leaf could find a use as a cash crop, it would suddenly give up its weedy ways and die to every little thing that came its way.

My dad HATED velvetleaf and cocklebur with a passion, most common weed here is waterhemp but heaven forbid one of the other weeds poked through the crop canopy. Still to this day I will pluck the pods off a velvet leaf if the tips are turning black and throw them on the burn pile after I pull the plant. Only see a cocklebur once in a great while, he did a good job keeping them down. I remember him getting a load of feed for the cattle that was loaded with burs, could tell he wasn't happy. Don't know if those germinated or not, since they went through a roller mill first.

You mention the rye died during the summer, I assume the pictures are in organic? Did it die from the shade of the soybeans? Here the past couple years we have not been short on water during the season, my luck the rye would keep on growing and I'd end up running a bunch of "grass" through the combine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)