AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic crop rotations/hay/livestock
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jandjfarmskyle
Posted 3/8/2019 14:15 (#7367683)
Subject: Organic crop rotations/hay/livestock

Paducah, ky
Following up on my questions from the other day, I wanna ask about rotations and times I'm not growing a grain crop. I have in mind a basic crop rotation that would be 2 years sod 1 year corn 1 year beans and then back to sod. Does this sound like a workable plan? I haven't found a local market for a small grain but I could add that in the future if one came available.

I dont have any livestock and alot of the ground I rent would be really difficult to fence and graze livestock on. How would I handle the sod years with the rotation I outline above? Just bushhog it or would I be money ahead to fertilize with chicken manure or compost and cut for hay? Am I going backwards by cutting hay or am I still building up the organic matter and fertility with all the below ground growth? I dont have any hay equipment but I feel like it would be worth the investment if there is money to he made on the organic hay during the sod years. I know grazing would be best and I would like to work my way towards that in the future (at least on some of my ground) but dont feel like I should try to make all these changes all at once.

I know this is alot of rambling but I feel like figuring out a plan before jumping into something like organic row crop is very important!

Thanks
Kyle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)