AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A nice cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 3/8/2019 14:40 (#7367721 - in reply to #7367666)
Subject: RE: A nice cow

Madison Co. Virginia
I've heard of dairy folks running a couple calves with the milking herd. I'm trying it here on a few. They pack on the pounds really quick. I don't know who all they're eating from, but it's got to be more than just their own mother, since the mothers still have plenty of milk in the jar. It helps to make a creep into the feed lane, so the calves can get to the milk cow ration without reaching over the feed rail. Also, depending on the situation, you may have to improvise a lower waterer for them. Make sure your holding pen and barns have places where the calves can escape the crush. It is amusing, though, seeing the calves show up in the parlor, hiding under the neck rail until the way is clear to proceed.

I use surveyor's tape on the ankles. 90% of the cows allow me to triple-knot a ribbon on both legs without issues. The rest need a kicker, which is easy enough. I have rump rails in the parlor, so I can't see the tail easily. I don't use a knife to remove the ribbon. Just hook a finger behind and pull.

Edited by kipps 3/8/2019 14:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)