AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Over applications and misuse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

havin'funfarming
Posted 3/8/2019 08:22 (#7366924 - in reply to #7366813)
Subject: RE: Over applications and misuse

Manitoba, Canada
In your position I don’t think you can win most times. Most of the year people will complain about how the salt is rusting their vehicles. Then one day the weather catches you off guard and the road is icy and people will complain that today you should have salted them more. After the storm passes they complain about the salt residue on the roads.

I also am not sure that having all these 4wd suv’s on the road is as good as we think. People tend to drive up to or beyond the speed and conditions they should be in and these vehicles give them more confidence. These vehicles are very good at applying brakes and power as necessary to overcome a drivers bad decisions and it gives them more confidence than they should have in the road conditions and then they drive faster than they should. Those systems are still limited to whatever traction is available. They only mask the drivers errors in judgment until the error is bad enough that even the computer has no way out.

I’m sure these systems save lives in some cases. I think the untold story is the lives lost from the over confidence because the computer had always done the thinking for the driver. Perhaps it is not always a bad thing if a driver has their vehicle unexpectedly go a bit sideways on the highway if they are driving on ice. It scares the crap out of a person and then they slow down to reasonable speeds and learn to read the road conditions a lot more carefully.

Edited by havin'funfarming 3/8/2019 08:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)