AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring Tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 3/7/2019 21:29 (#7366266 - in reply to #7365379)
Subject: RE: Spring Tillage

South Central MN
I have seen all the different sorts done around here, one operation loves to burn off corn residue in the spring, some hit it with varying degrees of tillage, I myself have no-till planted...

Wouldn't recommend no-till unless you can be sure the planter has enough down force ability to maintain proper depth, soybeans less picky than corn but still.

In the past have run across with a stalk chopper and field cultivator, burns up a lot of fuel the way dad and I did ours though. Now I would probably just hit it with the high speed disk but unless residue gets cut up that makes new problems, so lately I just let it be and move over a few inches off the row with the planter and have at it. I have not done corn on corn that way but will have a small field this year, not getting my hopes up as it has other issues than being corn last year.

A couple years back I knew I wasn't going to have the time to disk rip all the corn ground so picked the fields with lower amounts of corn residue and hit them 2X in the fall with the high speed disk, but obviously too late for that now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)