AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When enough is enough!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johnwayne360
Posted 3/7/2019 15:19 (#7365461 - in reply to #7364131)
Subject: RE: When enough is enough!

near dyersville iowa
im trying to keep my head up too. I didnt have what it took to be a dairy farmer..maybe that was for the best. that was 20 years ago. Never seemed to be able to get ahead on the farm after that though. Everything on my little farm is at capacity. No place to grow to, lots of old money around here throwing 10k/acre at 50 acre farms, probably paying cash. I cant compete with that. Didnt get my first farm bought until i was 35. So I do not have that much equity to borrow against. Again, maybe a good thing at this time, maybe not. The winter got me down for awhile, was thinking about how long i have as a farmer before robots make it impossible for me to work long/hard enough to make any money. Hard to convince yourself to invest in the farm when you think like that. Like everything in life now...it seems that all jobs are temporary. In ten years, will my job exist? Im working through it, and trying to convince myself that long term additions to the farm will actually pay. I guess i really have no advice. just know youre not alone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)