AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Orchard Grass
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

r82230
Posted 3/7/2019 14:24 (#7365377 - in reply to #7363915)
Subject: RE: Orchard Grass

Thumb of Michigan
OG at 8-10" in height, over 20% protein. I have sampled both as wet (75+% moisture sample) and dry (15.2% moisture), took a couple of weeks to dry in shed. I have to look up samples to get numbers, but remembered that the wet was higher in protein (23%??).

I took these samples just before I turned the cows out to pasture. The 75.59% moisture was within maybe 2 days (taking sample, mailing to lab), so it makes sense crop was using up moisture. Supposedly while growing OG is at 80% moisture. The 15.2% moisture was from same sample, except I dried it for a couple of weeks in my un-heated tool shed. It lost some protein, I believe because plant was still thinking it was alive, until it got to around 47-48% moisture.

So I have OG samples at 23.15% protein (wet), same OG sample at 19.9% protein (drier). But I have also sampled a neighbor's "hay", that the protein was only 6.8%, it too was OG. Back to your original question, it all depends upon when you harvest OG.

Edited by r82230 3/8/2019 15:15

Attachments
----------------
Attachments C:\Users\lschul\Documents\MyDocuments\Adobe\2019Adobe\Other Stuff\OG-Crop-Samples.pdf (44KB - 34 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)