AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk of calving later.....Anyone going the other way? I am
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wurtzy
Posted 3/6/2019 08:12 (#7362316)
Subject: All the talk of calving later.....Anyone going the other way? I am

Valley, NE
Over the last couple weeks there have been numerous posts about calving later for various different reasons; whether it be weather or grass/ nutrition/ fighting mud, what ever the reason. I'm looking at going the other way. I'm going to try and move 3-4 weeks early and calve Jan 1-15 vs Feb 1 synch date. My hope is to have heavier calves by the time we always sell around Dec 1, and have heartier calves come the March/April thaw and mud. Biggest reason moving up is labor labor labor. I take days off around the first of the year and the kids are home. A majority of my help (if i need them) takes days off around the beginning of the year as well. So if the conditions work, I'm going to be moving snow drifts out of the working corral this weekend and get pre-synch prostagladin shots and multimin in cows and then Cidrs go in March 23.

I loved the point made about being the millionaire below, someone said if it works at your place then it works, don't judge a man for doing something different if it works at his place. your biggest critic should be in the mirror
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)