AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Composting mortalities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 3/5/2019 14:00 (#7360803 - in reply to #7360741)
Subject: RE: Composting mortalities

Kingston,Mi
Least expensive is a outside windrow if permitted (it is in Ohio and Michigan) follow the specified procedure and it works nicely. Next would be the bin system under a roof, we designed them mostly with mafia blocks (2x2x6 Ft.) and used the corner version where needed to "knit" the corners. We have/had a operator who built a in vessel system using a salvaged concrete mixer drum from a concrete delivery truck, Motor was on a timer and rotated the drum 1 revolution every so many minutes. Biggest potential draw back with this system is loading larger mortalities thru a relatively small opening (maybe they modified the drum, I don't know). Any in vessel system would need some time between the last mortality and unloading to accomplish significant composting before it was unloaded. Know nothing about using a tubgrinder, none were used during my design career.

One of the bin style composters using mafia blocks was built in a medium sized pole barn (36 feet wide by 64 feet long I believe) for a farrowing co-op with about 4000 sows. The building was located at a finisher site where there was a single finisher unit and no neighbors. The building appeared to be just a tool shed and the operator kept it locked. The first in the open windrow I observed was between a set of connected finishers and they used dry sawdust from a nearby pallet factory, the windrow was odor free and they reported no problems with scavengers if enough sawdust was kept on the pile ( 1 ft. deep over the carcass).

Edited by BOGTROTTER 3/5/2019 14:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)