AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What’s the general thought on confederate statues?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ben5398
Posted 3/5/2019 14:26 (#7360845 - in reply to #7360359)
Subject: RE: What’s the general thought on confederate statues?

Central Illinois
showboat - 3/5/2019 09:25

Colin Kaepernick is widely vilified on this board for being "disrespectful to America". His crime: kneeling instead of standing during the National Anthem. There will likely never be any statues honoring Kaepernick.

These statues of Confederate leaders are erected to honor military figures who actually took up arms, and waged warfare against the country represented by that very same flag. NO doubt they fought valiantly for a cause in which they believed, however, they fought in direct opposition to the cause of "freedom", and the oaths of allegiance they might well have taken, if they attended a military academy such as West Point. From a NORTHERN perspective, they were traitors.

The Civil War ended over one hundred fifty years ago. Yes, history is important to study and understand, but honoring folks who were on the wrong side of the issues, and fought a losing battle against their flag and country and oaths is an impediment to unity. showboat

A couple errors in your thought as I see it. One define freedom, I am a firm believer in NAP, slavery obviously violates this principle however, states rights do not. The values of freedom as viewed by our founding fathers were clear that it is our responsibility to overthrow a tyrannical government, which southerners viewed the US to be at the time.

I have no problem with Kap kneeling but it is not his right to kneel as he worked for a private corporation that can dictate what he does.

2 statues dont necessarily honor a person, they can simply be reminders of what occurred and who was involved on both sides.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)