AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NW_Bearcat... Clover Seed follow up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 3/5/2019 20:50 (#7361564 - in reply to #7361424)
Subject: RE: NW_Bearcat... Clover Seed follow up

NEMO
countryflunky - 3/5/2019 19:01

cows-n-crops - 3/5/2019 03:47

We used to frost seed clover in wheat about this time of year. Cut the wheat and then hay the clover in August. Following year would hay it in June and if it was a dry year let it go to seed and combine the clover for seed in late August/early September.

I've thought of doing this. What variety did you use? Why did you quit?

I really don't know of a specific variety. Probably VNS (variety not stated) Red Clover. I would of been a teenager to early 20's. I probably wasn't checking out the seed tags at the time! Lol

Variety of reasons we don't do much clover like we used too. Row crop acres increased and followed the money. Wheat didn't seem to keep up with corn and beans as far as profitability. Tried wheat again the last few years but it still doesn't seem to work financially some years. Seeded some clover last spring on an 80 acre tract, but won't harvest it as seed this summer. We used a JD 7720 combine with a clover screen back in the day. The screen is still hanging in a shed. 60 pounds to the acre was a normal clover seed yield and if we got 100 pounds we thought we cut a fat hog. One time made 120 pounds.

The fields that Dad rotated in and out as hay fields still outproduce other crop fields to this day. I'm planning on seeding some smaller patches down due to the hay situation, but not sure what the final mix will be.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)