AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Store bought pork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ncilmike
Posted 3/2/2019 09:54 (#7353829 - in reply to #7346245)
Subject: RE: Store bought pork

LaSalle Co. Illinois
We haven't really bought pork from the store since I was a kid. My wife gets the occasional package of bacon and ham, but have either raised our own or bought from someone local for our pork. We used to get it from the store when I was a kid, then dad decided we needed to start raising our own. After that, I could never eat pork bought in the store and had a hard time eating it in a restaurant as well. It all tasted old after we started getting fresh. Even then, you could taste the beginning of it starting to taste old after about 3 months in the freezer. It would get to store taste after about 6 months.

Beef seems to keep better. Even so, I don't remember a time when either my parents when I was younger, or my family not getting our own cow from one of the neighbors. It seems to keep for about a year in the freezer before it starts to turn.

Even had fresh lamb once. That was good stuff. I don't know how long it would keep in the freezer, because it didn't last long enough to find out.

Guess I have been spoiled with fresh meat over the years. Does that make me a meat snob?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)