AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

5 years old MacBook?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Drilldo
Posted 3/5/2019 23:04 (#7361880 - in reply to #7359497)
Subject: RE: 5 years old MacBook?

Texas
Haoleguy - 3/4/2019 20:33

Hate to be the contrarian in this group but I would not go for something that's 5 years out and has low RAM memory. These older computers have operating systems that cannot be updated after the manufacturer deems them outside their upgrade support in terms of years. If she knows where she's going I would find out what the University/College recommends. Some of this will be related to how the school handles online assignments, online student account for each subject, and what suite of applications they require for different subjects.

While I agree with this to a degree it is $200. There are people in this thread perfectly happy with nine year old macs and this one is five years old. I kinda doubt it would make four years of college but I bet it would last a couple at least until she gets there and finds out what she really needs. At that point I am sure she could sell it for $100 or maybe even $200 to the right buyer.

I am not saying my general recommendation is go out and buy your kid a $200 computer for college but in this scenario your daughter seems to be happy with the computer and is familiar with it so why not go with it. Even if it only makes it a year or two I still don’t think that is a bad purchase. Computers get better and faster every year. By delaying the expensive computer purchase a year or two the $200 one will allow her to get a lot more computer for the same money than you could today. By that I mean a $1300 computer bought new today will blow away probably even a $2600 computer bought two years ago. So for $1300 or whatever in a year or two you will be able to get much more computer than you can today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)