AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grandfather clock photos - Feb 2019
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 2/25/2019 01:31 (#7342813 - in reply to #7342371)
Subject: RE: Grandfather clock photos - Feb 2019

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

Hi -  I put the Northing and Easting co-ordinates into Google Earth, and came up with about 15 miles north of where our farm is!

Mostly flat Wimmera plains, originally scattered timber, varieties buloke and box [box is eucalypt]. Soil - self mulching black clay/loam and some rising ground either sand or red clay.

Really have idea as to why roads run on diagonal as you ask.!

Our clan selected in 1874, and while researching information when we placed a memorial marker on the site of the original selection, I asked the Govt Surveyors Dept when roads were surveyed. My thought was they must have been done before a 'selector' came and pegged an area.

I have re-asked a couple of times, but no one has an answer. Local govt "land management boards" had "Survey Dept's - that's the best I can come up with.

Understand that under the 1870 Land Act selectors were entitled to select 320 acres, on condition the in a certain time they had built a rudimentary 'residence' and fenced an  area to contain livestock, as in working horses, cows, sheep.

I have absolutely no idea how the originals survived without a water supply system. Some wells found water [ fresh] others found saline water!

When young we had open channels - the largest gravity fed water system in the world. Farms got dams filled once a year. Now we have piped water from the same source - the mountains west of Stawell - 50 miles south of us.

Thanks for the question!

And yeah - I reckon the weights are 12 Lbs.

Edited by Aussy Harold 2/25/2019 01:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)