AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grandfather clock
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chris
Posted 2/21/2019 07:48 (#7334351 - in reply to #7331612)
Subject: I have a REGULATOR clock that does that &

East central Iowa

I have a Regulator clock from a school house.  After several years it will only run for a few days and quits.  When all is right it runs for a week on one winding.

I take it down and blow it out with a can of compressed air.  Then I use John Deere multi purpose spray lube on it.  I spray all the parts and dry it off, I let it set for a couple of hours and re-install it in the clock. 

Then it's good for a few more years.

Once I sprayed it with brake cleaner to clean it, that wasn't a good idea.  It took all the oil out of places that it shouldn't or something.  After it set for a day or two I finally got the clock running again.

The JD multi purpose spray lube is something else.  We had a clock from a 1937 (I think) Plymouth or Dodge in the shop.  It wouldn't run only a few minutes and quit.  Just something setting in a tool box.  On a lark we sprayed it with JD multi purpose and it ran and kept running.  Unfortunately it ran fast, way too fast.  We moved the little adjustment lever to the farthest it would go on slow and it would still run 5 minutes fast in a ½ hour, making it as useless as when it didn't run. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)