AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No tilling options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 2/16/2019 12:45 (#7324501 - in reply to #7324393)
Subject: RE: No tilling options

We've gone from adding every attachment possible and even mounted striptil components on planters and it wasn't that long ago that folks notilled with none of it (especially with leading disk planters like CNH). I still use a coulter on no til beans and don't remove it plant corn in worked ground (knifed in manure in the fall, finisher in the spring) and it works fine. I also use martin closing wheels in back on the corn rows to deal with sticky soil. It's interesting the beans don't care if it's a rubber tire closing wheel or spiked martin in notil.

Bottom line is you can notil with a planter if the openers are good and you have sufficient down pressure (which may not be all that much). Row cleaners can keep more trash out of the trench, but they are not perfect. Coulters can help keep planting depth more consistent, but, depending on the coulter, you can throw out too much dirt. That said, I don't notil corn because of manure (it's still rough when I finish), even so, notil corn does have issues - soil not as warm, emergence is slower and the hybrid has to be adapted for it. I think that's why strip till corn is popular (and dealers still get to sell an overpriced tool and a really big tractor).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)