AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's talk about different ways to top dress. Could really use some high pro high yield wheat!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 2/16/2019 10:14 (#7324170 - in reply to #7324029)
Subject: RE: Let's talk about different ways to top dress. Could really use some high pro high yield wheat!

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I understand the decision your trying to make. All I know and have read about increasing protein in wheat is it takes a lot of Nitrogen. Like 2-2.25 pounds of N per yield goal. That is probably why when we have good yields our protein is low.
We usually are not concerned about protein in wheat because we don't get paid a premium for it but since you have a chance to benefit from protein levels then the extra nitrogen would be warranted. My thought on applying extra N in your and my area is if the wheat doesn't need it because we got too dry to make a good crop the N will be there for the following crop so it would not be wasted.
As far as application. I still like the sprayer with stream bars. Any other method with coulters and etc would seem to tear up the wheat some and more tracks made in the wheat.
Fungicide can be determined later. If things look promising adding a gallon or two of folliar Nitrogen might help the protein as well. I'm convinced the folliar N makes the fungicide work better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)