AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic corn on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ltct04
Posted 2/15/2019 20:57 (#7323412)
Subject: Organic corn on corn

east central iowa
Was wondering what type of yields guys have been getting with organic coc. Only fertilizer would be chicken litter. Rotation has been hay, corn with rye cover crop, soybeans, corn with rye seeded last fall. Farm was a 3 year lease and the plan was for landlord to go back to hay as I do not want to do soybeans again this year its 30 miles away and only 60 acres, profit wise on soybeans is tough with the rent where it is.

Landlord is trying to get me to go coc. I would have to switch organic certifiers to do this. Also dont know how non treated non GMO organic seed is going to do in coc environment with only chicken manure. Weed control has been excellent on corn and yields have been around 175 bushel acre. 65 csr gentle rolling ground with slightly sandy soil. Can handle lots of rain. No crop insurance on the farm and not really wanting to do it if that's the main hope for income.

I figure my break even would need to be 100 bushel for all inputs and labor machine etc. Plus the headache of switching certifiers over. I know a lot depends on weather just looking for general idea. Anything I left out ask! Thanks!

Also it was double disked last fall before putting rye in so it was nice and black.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)