AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

another engine oil post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jalopy
Posted 2/15/2019 17:27 (#7323033)
Subject: another engine oil post

NC IA
Seems crazy all the different engine oils I keep around... granted our little store keeps a fair amount of different choices on hand.. but I'm talking about for my own personal use.

70s/80s IH diesels (d436, dt414, dt466, etc) IH yellow bucket straight 30 for about the last 10 years. Prior to that was various 15-40 and Red Giant 4S-red.

My 2188 has had CIH (Viscosity) 15-40 its whole life, currently over 10,000 hrs, original bearings/sleeves/pistons. Lots of 100+* days on the wheat harvest.

90 Kenworth with L-10 cummins, either CIH or northland 15-40.

7.3 ford PSD, 2 of them, one has 355k, the other 235k... used 5w-30 Castrol full synthetic for quite a few years until the barrel went empty- have switched to Northland Superline 10-30, but for this recent cold snap I went for broke and put in CIH (Viscosity) 0w-40 synthetic. The thin oil sure makes them start nice when its cold. (I do try to plug them in when it gets below 20*).

Ford V-10 excursion, now at 380k, been running Northland 5-20 in winter and 5-30 in the summer. Before this cold snap I changed to a CarQuest 0-20 full synthetic. It sits outside, never plugged in, it started fine the days it was -30F.

Got some old gassers around, ih 560, an old hyster lp forklift, etc. Most of the time they get the CIH ashless grey bucket 30w. Sometimes they get Northland 30w (both gas & diesel rated.)

Lawnmower with twin koehler, Northland superline 10-30.

Do you feel my pain? What am I doing wrong? It sure would be nice to have a one-and-done universal engine oil, but I just don't see anything fitting my whole picture. For the universal 15-40 crowd, have you seen what that looks like at -30? I know I'm gonna get all kinds of answers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)