AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tractor/Implement inner tube sources?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 2/15/2019 15:17 (#7322870 - in reply to #7322830)
Subject: RE: Tractor/Implement inner tube sources?

Madison Co. Virginia
I recently got instructions from a pro(our milk truck driver)on how to change implement tires. Wasn't so bad. Used two of those kent tire irons that I already had around, and a sledgehammer.

I was told to use wd-40, pb blaster, or other penetrating fluid a few minutes before trying to unseat the tire. Use it liberally. Was told that gasoline works fine too, just don't smoke around the tire.

Breaking the bead loose is the hardest. Right or wrong, what I did was to smash it with the cutting edge of the front end loader. Worked well, and I'm told it won't damage the tire. Someone please chime in if they have damaged a tire this method.

I was cautioned to remove the tire from the correct side. The two sides of the rim are not the same. One side drops off quicker, which makes it much easier to remove the tire from that side. This is usually on the valve stem side.

I used two tire irons to get the tire started off the rim, and then used a sledge to drive one of the irons around the rim to pop the tire over the edge.

When reinstalling, I used the two irons in the same way as I would a bicycle tire.

Patching the tube is the same as a bicycle inner tube as well.

Again, I've only done one tire, but I'm confident I can do plenty more. It took less time to do this one tire than the transport time to take it to the tire shop.

Edit to add pic: When lifting the tire bead over the rim, the other side of that same bead will drop into the groove indicated by the red arrow. If you tried this on the opposite side of the rim, the wide flat "shelf" would make the job nearly impossible.

Edited by kipps 2/15/2019 15:24

(Untitled (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled (full).jpg (6KB - 8 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)