AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's up with all the enthusiasm for hemp?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 2/15/2019 07:56 (#7322099 - in reply to #7321987)
Subject: RE: What's up with all the enthusiasm for hemp?

n.c.iowa
Mark my words it’s gonna be the next “wonder crop” that’ll take a bunch of farmers down. There must be a set of genes in our human genome that drives us to search for the next “thing” that might possibly better our lives, no matter the sensibility of it.

Last year when we were in Anaheim, wife and I went shopping, and ran across a place that had clothes made out of hemp for sale, so I bought me a hemp shirt, it was kinda spendy, but I thought “all of this hemp hype possibly indicates that maybe I’m missing out here”.

So I get back to the hotel, slip my old cotton shirt off, and prep myself to become a better person that the 100% hemp shirt is definately gonna make me. So I get myself a comfy position on the bed, (just in case my legs go weak) and I slip that shirt on fully expecting a chorus of angels to start singing, radiant beams of pure energy to emanate from my countenance, all the answers to world peace would suddenly come to me, and I would lose 50lbs.

Took me about 8 hours at the “198 different beers on tap” beer bar to get over that disappointment.

Seriously though(I do have a shirt made from hemp) I really don’t know how these guys think they are going to break into the fiber market. It’s seems to me it’s a pretty saturated market, I guess all the stuff that is touted about hemp fiber being superior,.... well so what? I guess I haven’t been real disappointed in the wearability in my present jeans or cotton products, and for a $20 bill and some change a person can get themselves a decent pair of britches, I don’t know man......the synthetic materials products kinda got everything else covered, and then you got silk, flax, etc. to contend with as well, unless we are going to totally do away with synthetic fiber ropes and the sisal crop is destroyed, i really am not seeing where the market for hemp is gonna develop.

I mean even if they tout this sustainability/ organic thing, I just don’t think there is much there. The other day the wife and I were shopping for some baby clothes for the grandson, and we get to the baby clothes section there at the ol’ walley world, and there it is organic cotton, (now you cotton guys don’t get all riled up, I think the organic thing is a hoax being perpuated on the American public, but when a guy has live with the grandsons grandma, it’s best to pick your battles.....) all of the organic cotton baby clothes we could ever want, and to be honest it wasn’t much more than the “contaminated” baby clothes.

So I just don’t see how they are gonna develop this much more than a niche market.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)