AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The days keep ticking off...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/15/2019 09:57 (#7322390 - in reply to #7322323)
Subject: RE: The days keep ticking off...

southern MN
People run on sunshine and good cheer.

When the weather is so grey, for so long, the mood matches the grey outside.

Dad didn’t plant any corn before May 9th, and I saw him replant the low areas several times, too cold in the wet peat.

A few decades later we get preached every year, if you aren’t done with corn by May 1st and most of the beans by May 10th you are losing yield, you won’t ever be a good farmer, you won’t amount to anything, you are losing money!

We had a pretty cold spell with very little snow, I suspect the frost has sunk deep in the ground this year. Now we are having snowstorms and bitter cold, to pile up the water and keep the frost driving down, the snowbsnks chilled. I disagree with you, that today’s weather certainly affects spring in April or May or whenever it decides to come. Might be different there, but up here deep frost and heavy snows is a bad deal.

In my small neighborhood we have had 3 years of excess moisture and grey sky’s and short summers. Tile only goes so far. The ditches run full, there is little flow at times to clear out the water when the ditch is full the water table simply is within inches of the soil surface not much the tile can do.

Everyone who is willing to grab a steering wheel already is pushing every spring and fall, there isn’t a pile of friends and relatives left to enlist.

Could just use a good dry sunny year to balance out and catch up once.

Some of us farm the old glacial lake bottoms, terrific soils but they gather and hold water. We need some relief from this tough wet cold weather. We can feed the world in a drought, but we need some life preservers in this weather pattern.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)