AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eby's new hopper trailer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Itchy
Posted 2/13/2019 08:11 (#7317759 - in reply to #7317697)
Subject: RE: Eby's new hopper trailer

SW Iowa
Perdue chicken trucks
Quote:
"It seems to me the term originated with the Perdue chicken trucks out of Salisbury,Maryland. Around the early 1970's Perdue was the up and coming chicken outfit in the northeast and he had a big fleet of new Pete and Freightliner cabovers and new reefers. They were running up and down I-95 like their bunk was on fire. Around this time, among the many radio commercials old man Frank Perdue was broadcasting, they had "The Hard Driver" who alledgedly was a Perdue trucker and he would ramble on how he and all his brethern would get the chickens to market fresh and on time. Perdue's fleet manager at the time put two big yellow lolly pop marker lights under the front bumper of the tractors and I believe this is where the term chicken lights originated. They had some real bad wrecks on the NJ turnpike during that period and were taking some heat over the CB and with the speed cops.This slowed them down somewhat, most of them were good drivers though. Back then old Frank had a reputation of running his drivers till their nose bled. LOL
By johnperkosr - Friday, January 09, 2009 5:04 AM"

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic37678.aspx
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)