AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Bags
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 2/12/2019 08:45 (#7315605 - in reply to #7315355)
Subject: RE: Grain Bags

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

I would suppose a guy could if its bad enough to get docked, but if not I wouldn't mess with it.

Grain bags aren't a fool proof solution, but neither are bins, Ive vacced out 10K bu bins that were top to bottom of moldy corn. Like its been mentioned on here before, some guys will never see the appeal of bags because their situation is much different, and that's fine, personally I cant see how combining wet corn and paying to run it through a dryer is at all profitable, except if you were paying the elevator to do the same.

Back to the OP, Ive heard that spreading a little dry N under the bag will help keep the rats and mice from chewing holes. Maybe make up some PVC tubes and fill them with poison, that would help stop the holes.

Weve had an exceptionally wet fall/winter, but little snow, so Im curious to see how the bags look, first year with bags here ourselves. But I can see where damp grain, even though its dry, if the surface is damp like we had here a couple times, could cause some condensation, especially with the temp swings weve had. 

I wonder if theres some kind of cheap desiccant a guy could throw in a coffee can or so every once in a while if hes worried about moisture, something like oil dry, a powdered clay or diatomaceous earth?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)