AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hay rack for flat trailer, help please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

tmrand
Posted 2/13/2019 09:06 (#7317878 - in reply to #7316804)
Subject: RE: hay rack for flat trailer, help please

Southeast Colorado
Some extra width helps but is not necessary. It will stick out to the DOT if that concerns you. One of the local hay haulers here just built some pieces that go into two stake pockets while the bales are on and then turns them around after unloading. I've built racks for two trailers and have loaded a gazillion other trailers so I've got a pretty good feel for what works. What' I'd do is either use pipe or channel iron 3" tall and just go straight up on your sides. No reason to extend out. Also if you go any higher than 3" it will tilt your bales too much and then your load becomes less stable. I made the mistake of going 4" on my last one. That's why I know 3" would be better! My first trailer I extended out and up a little and it was nice but took a lot of time to build them and I always knew I would be in trouble with the DOT so we stayed off of major highways. Hopefully what I'm saying here is clear but ask any more questions if you would like. The wider your trailer is the higher your rack can be to work correctly. On a 96" trailer 3" straight up and even with the side of your trailer are really easy to build and work perfect for double stacking the top rows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)