AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for the group
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 2/11/2019 17:55 (#7314317 - in reply to #7313441)
Subject: RE: Question for the group

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
RayJenkins - 2/11/2019 10:35

I read quite a few comments about losing money in the stock market...

for those who are unhappy about that, I have a couple of questions

1) What were your expectations for performance over a 1 to 3 year time period??

I have not been disappointed in the stock market at all, but wanted to contribute some of my experiences to maybe help others. As others have stated 1-3 years it too short of a time frame for investing in the stock market, unless you are a high roller or day trading. Which is just gambling. All of my stock market investing is either 1)retirement for my wife and I or 2) College savings for the kids. College savings are anywhere from 5-15 year time frame. Started at about 20 years old on my retirement, and have put some in almost every year for 20 years. I have hopefully another 30 years before retirement. I have a pretty good nest egg started, and without divulging too much, and without any serious life crisis I don't know why I wouldn't have a couple million by 70 years old.

2) How did you invest.....a lump sum or dollar cost averaging??

Both. Usually would wait until tax time to evaluate how much if any I wanted to contribute. With the exception of my wife where we do a fixed amount every month.

3) Did you use an adviser or was it self directed??

Started with an advisor, but didn't really feel like the service to cost ratio was worth it. Went to all self-directed with Fidelity and haven't been disappointed at all. Super cheap to manage your own funds if you are wanting to do simple investing. One of the big benefits of the internet.

4) How did you decide on what kind of investment....

Started out with good stable long term mutual funds, that were mostly just large cap domestic funds. I have since then gradually switched them to all "socially screened" funds. I won't get into the weeds on that, but basically I did not like profiting from certain segments of the economy, and these funds will not invest in those types of industry. Returns have been just as good or better than anything else.

I did try a few individual stocks, but NEVER did any good at that!!! Learned my lesson.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)