AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Corn & Soybeans Grown in the Upper Mid-West ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 2/11/2019 15:52 (#7314065 - in reply to #7313918)
Subject: RE: Organic Corn & Soybeans Grown in the Upper Mid-West ?

Dalton, OH
I’m not sure what you mean it’s hard to keep track of in the east pertaining to imports and native raised grain? I’m an organic producer on the larger size and produce mostly feed grains. I am fortunate to direct market most of my grains to the end user, whether big or small. All of them require, as do we, that each of my truckloads has 3 things with every load, a copy of my certificate, a clean truck statement, and a bill of lading. We do a majority of our trucking as a majority of our grain stays within 150 miles of us. There is a paper trail for every load of feed grain, native or export, that can be followed from finished product down to the field the grain was raised in. I can attest to the large amount of record keeping and paperwork that is needed as that is what I have been spending my time on lately in the office. I wish we could get more native organic grain grown as that would reduce our dependence on imported grain and the issues that can arise from them. I realize many conventional farmers like to rag on organic for abuse and issues, but it is no different than some of the things that go on on conventional farms. Currently, have neighboring dairy farms hauling manure on frozen ground ahead of a forecasted 1.5-2 inch rain tomorrow. Personally I would call that abuse as all that manure will be floating down the creek and polluting the water. The general public isn’t going to think much of it either. Can happen in any industry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)