AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snakes in the south
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 2/11/2019 07:52 (#7312799 - in reply to #7312745)
Subject: RE: Snakes in the south

East Central Arkansas

I guess I must. I don't really think about them that much until I have a close encounter with one.  We walk in the crops all the time when you can't see the ground. Our crops are furrow irrigated so all that water does draw the snakes that live in water. Around the poly pipe line is the worse for us and we have to walk it each irrigation to be sure the bear, deer, coons, coyote and what other animals like to make holes in it haven't torn it up. It's just laid across the crop in a small furrow so it can be really difficult even walking through the crop. If you mow or chemically kill that area where the pipe lays it's going to grow up with weeds. Corn I would try and mow a narrow strip for the pipe. In rice it seems they really like to lay around and under the levee gates. Working under my house last summer in tight and dark area found a chicken snake skin that was over five foot long. Glad I didn't come face to face with that while sliding under central air pipes that I could barely get under. Under most circumstances I am actually more scared of spiders especially those Brown Reclouse ones as I had a bad bite from one several years ago. I ended up taking treatments in a hyperberic chamber and having a skin graft on a area the size of a softball.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)