AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KS Township issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

plowpusher
Posted 2/11/2019 11:35 (#7313439 - in reply to #7313023)
Subject: RE: KS Township issues

The roads being taken care of by a township is a tough one which struggles in our area. I was on a Township board for 12 years. We had 36 miles of road with around $35,000 budget to work with .Liability insurance was $3,500 and it cost around $3,000 to gravel a mile of road at the time.Graders were not cheap, was hard to find operators , fuel, upkeep, culverts to buy and we were running a tight ship while other Township had much more money to work with as we had some large areas off the tax roll.We took $500 a year in wages and did a lot of work, made a annual budget and lots of phone calls to answer . The last straw for us was when a drunk driver died on a Township road and us board members were a risk of being sued .We asked the county attorney for help and he saws you guy are on your own good luck . When our terms expired we did not run again . Its no surprise the county has trouble finding people to be on the boards. We had to work with the county roads Department so that's your place to start call the county road Boss so he can put some heat on the township board members to take better care of the roads. The squeaky wheels gets the grease every time.Next talk to your County supervisor about it. It was put to a vote in our county to dissolve the townships to let the county take over but failed to pass. I voted to close them as its just not a very good system anymore i felt .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)